HI-MACS® is a solid surface material that can be molded into any shape. It is widely used for architectural and interior applications, such as sculptural and high performance wall- cladding or kitchen, bathroom and furniture surfaces, in commercial, residential and public spaces. It is composed of acrylic, natural minerals and pigments that come together to provide a smooth, non-porous and visually seamless surface which meets the highest standards for aesthetics, fabrication, functionality and hygiene – offering manifold advantages over conventional materials.
HI-MACS® mainly consists of 3 chemical components: 60% natural minerals of ATH (Aluminum Trihydroxide), 30% of MMA (Methyl Methacrylate) and 10% of pure acrylic PMMA (Poly Methyl Methacrylate).
Size and Weight
Sheet Thickness: 12mm, 9mm, 6mm
Weight : 20.5kg/sqm (12mm thickness HI-MACS approximately weighs)
12 x 760 x 3,680mm
9 x 760 x 3,680mm
6 x 760 x 2,490mm
Colors of HI-MACS
HI-MACS® offers a virtually limitless range of colors in all conceivable shades. More are being added every year no matter what color you choose, HI-MACS® remains 100% homogeneous.
HI-MACS® provides, for example, more than 5 white color variations, among which diamond white is 30% more bright than the ordinary white color, and it eventually widens designers’ colors options.
HI-MACS® provides various product line-ups, which can be categorized as: Basic collection: Granites, Solids and Lucents (semi-transparent). Premium collection: Volcanics, Aster (Galaxy), Lucia and Marmo
HI-MACS® weight differs based upon thickness and length.
In a single sheet, HI-MACS® should be carried vertically to prevent from breaking or bending. Multiple sheets should be supported by a pallet.
When working with HI-MACS®, one needs to observe common safety procedures and practices.
Check all electrical tools prior to use.
Always wear safety goggles.
Wear gloves, shoes, and dust filtering masks.
Only use sharp cutters.
Work in a light, well-ventilated area.
Proper breathing filters and ventilation are necessary when working with HI-MACS®, as breathing dust can be harmful.
HI-MACS® expands and contracts according to temperature and humidity. Installers
should keep this in mind when measuring.
When marking cutouts, installing at the wall side or joining between sheets, leaves approximately 6mm of space.
Cracks can occur due to the following reasons: The support of HI-MACS® is not level
The joint is not finished smoothly. Adhesive is not applied evenly.
Proper length or spacing is not left during fabrication.
Store HI-MACS® indoors in an area with proper ventilation. HI-MACS® should not be placed directly on the floor.
Avoid high temperatures or high humidity.
Table saw is required for precision and large quantity cutting of HI-MACS®. Carbide or diamond blades are recommended for best performance. Cutting speed can differ, but 2- 3M/min is recommended.
Table saw with rollers is recommended for precise long cuts.
Other Power Saws
Smaller hand-held saws may also be used with HI-MACS®. Circular saw for short straight cuts. Jig saws for small curved cuts. Care and experience is required for making cuts with hand-held saws.
Precise and smooth radius cutting of HI-MACS® is possible with the use of a router and a template. This is best for routing for sink installation. A minimum of 12mm of space should be allowed when making sink cut outs with a router.
With the proper bits, numerous decorative or smooth edges may be achieved with the use of a router. For more complicated finishes, a template is recommended.
Drilling and Programmable Table Routers
HI-MACS® may be used on Programmable Table Routers for custom, large quantity and precision processing.
HI-MACS® is suitable for use with any hole making device. 3mm of space should be
allowed when working with this type of equipment.
Care and Maintenance
Damage may occur if countertop is mistreated. To help prevent this from happening, the use of the following simple ways are recommended to maintain original elegance and beauty of HI-MACS®for years to come.
Normal cleaning only requires a damp cloth and a mild cleanser. If it was matte-finished, the use of abrasive cleaner is recommended. Clean the matte-finished surface in a circular motion to maintain uniformity. Avoid the use of strong acidic cleansers (like the ones designed for drains, toilets or ovens). Some of these cleansers might cause whitening, which can be difficult to remove.
A few common sense precautions, include not placing pans directly from the burner or oven on countertops. Although HI-MACS® can withstand temperatures of up to 225 degrees, prolonged or extreme heat can cause yellowing.
Troublesome spills and stains, like food dye, tea and fruit drinks can be removed with full strength bleach followed by a general cleaner flushed with water. Not to let the bleach remain on the surface for more than five minutes. If a lit cigarette came in contact with countertop, a nicotine stain or a scorch mark can occur. Simply use an abrasive cleaner or buff in a circular motion with special pad to remove.
The adhesive of HI-MACS® is a special formulated two-component system and is available in 45ml and 250 ml cartridges. For each size of cartridge a dispenser gun is available.
The cartridges are delivered with their specific mixer tip to ensure correct mixing before applying adhesive to the work piece.
The workplace conditions should be approximately +17° C and dust free when using
Each adhesive cartridge has a two-year shelf life. Check the suitability prior to use, see date of manufacture on the label attached on the product itself and on the packaging boxes of LG Hausys.
Storage of adhesive should be in cool and dry conditions (approximately +8° C to maximum
+15° C). The cartridges should be kept in dark rooms to avoid sunlight and should be kept away from any heating devices.
:This warranty will not apply to damage caused in the following areas
1) Improper fabrication and installation of your HI-MACS®:
Failure to follow procedures recommended in the application, fabrication and installation guidelines (sheets 6 mm for vertical application, 9 mm for horizontal application without heat source and 12 mm sheet for horizontal application with heat source or more structural support)
Faulty or improper installation, including seams (need to use HI-MACS® adhesive only);
A non-authorized modification of the installation.
2) Failure to apply the HI-MACS® Use & Care Guidelines Including:
Improper or inadequate general maintenance;
Hard chemicals or physical aggression of the installation;
Exposure to excessive heat due to direct heat (e.g. hot pots and pans put without protection on the surface without trivet with rubber legs or protective pad) or due to a bad thermal isolation (e.g. for cooking plates, bains-marie, etc.);
Pouring boiling liquids into HI-MACS® shapes without running the cold tap as well;
3) HI-MACS® colors and gloss finish of HI-MACS®:
Dark & heavily pigmented colors will show dust, dirt and ordinary wear and tear more readily than light colors and colors with a structured texture;
Applications using inappropriate gloss finish for the intended end use (as mentioned in the colors brochure or in any other HI-MACS® documentation) will not be covered under this warranty.
Disclaimer colors (mentioned with a * on the brochure and on website) are not covered by the present warranty.
4) HI-MACS® repairs or replacements under this warranty must be executed by the HI-MACS® official distributors.
5) This Warranty is applicable until superseded, only on installations:
Installations which have not been moved from their original location;
Installations that are properly maintained and used applying the Use & Care guidelines.
6) LG Hausys’ obligation together with the HI-MACS® official distributors is limited solely to the repair or replacement of the products purchased, including reasonable and necessary labor charges when the claim is acceptable within the warranty terms. In case HI-MACS® is not in a position to repair or replace, depending on the case, a defective product, LG Hausys commits to reimburse, within a reasonable time frame after the filing of the claim, the purchase price of the HI-MACS® material, as long as the customer returns to LG Hausys or the assigned HI-MACS® official distributors the defective material.
7) No other expressed or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose are made by this warranty except for those expressly provided herein. Under no circumstances shall LG Hausys be liable for any loss or damage arising from the purchase, use or inability to use this product, or for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages.
8) This warrant entitles the purchaser to specific legal rights. Other rights may also
be available, which may vary from country to country.
9) To obtain service under this warranty, please contact directly the source from which you purchased your HI-MACS®. Our HI-MACS® official distributors will evaluate your claim and when accepted will develop a practical and satisfactory solution. For any additional question with regard to the present warranty, you can contact LG Hausys by writing to the following address:
One IFC Building
10 Gookjegeumyoong-Ro, Yeongdeungpo-Gu, 07326 Seoul Republic of Korea
Please include your name, address, phone/fax number and e-mail in all correspondence
as well as your warranty number. We will respond to all inquiries within 30 working days.
10) The present 10-year limited installed warranty for HI-MACS® from LG Hausys is ruled under the Korean law. Any argumentation in relation to this 10-year limited installed warranty, its interpretation or its execution will fall under the exclusive competence of the courts of Korea.
11) HI-MACS® colors are particularly suitable for outdoor applications because of their good UV-resistance. Their color-fastness are guaranteed 5 years for a tolerance of Delta E3 to Delta E4 according to the color:
For Delta E3: S02 Almond, S09 Cream, S28 Alpine White, G34 Arctic White, G38 Sea Oat Quartz, G48 Beach Sand
For Delta E4: G02 Grey Sand, G04 White Quartz, G05 White Granite, G30 Ivory Quartz, G41 Confetti Quartz, S302 Opal
10 YEARS LIMITED INSTALLED WARRANTY
Congratulations and thank you for selecting HI-MACS® was developed as of 1989 and is a Product offering from LG Hausys, an affiliated company from the global company LG. This limited warranty covers all HI-MACS® products manufactured and/or marketed by LG Hausys.
LG Hausys expressly warrants to the owner of a HI-MACS® installation made following the application, fabrication and installation guidelines published by LG Hausys for HI-MACS®, that it will, repair or replace HI-MACS®, if the product fails due to any product manufacturing defect during the first 10 years after installation. LG Hausys will cover in that case the costs related to installation, transportation and fabrication on top of the material.
The warranty of the original purchaser can be transferred to the next owner.